Friday, June 22, 2012

Cracking the spine...


The urge to read a book - and I'm talking an actual, hold it in your hands, turn the page yourself, printed on paper book here - is slowly losing its luster for many people. The age of technology has run rampant among our generation; I can personally attest to this. I love technology and most everything that comes along with it. I probably use my smart phone hundreds of times throughout the day without even thinking about it, not to mention the laptop that is practically attached to my hip. I use a professional digital camera to foster my photographic inclinations and listen to music on any number of electronic devices.

But one technological trend that I cannot go along with is e-readers. Believe me, I've tried. I received a Kindle as a Christmas gift almost right after they were first released - my love of books is no secret among my family and friends. But contrary to what was expected, I hated that e-reader. Now, don't get me wrong; I wanted to like it. For a tech-savvy girl like me, the idea of carrying around thousands of my books anywhere I went was highly appealing. It was the culmination of two of my loves, books and technology, with endless possibilities. All of that, put into one pretty, electronic package? Sign me up!


After a week of torture (I did give it a fighting chance) I couldn't stand to have it anymore. The treasure of holding a new book for the first time was robbed from me. The excitement of discovering a used book and smelling its musty ancestry was nonexistent. The experience of that first opening of the book, of cracking the spine and anticipating the new world I was exposing myself to - gone. The bittersweet joy of holding that last page lovingly in my hand, of cherishing the end of an emotional journey, was impossible to achieve. That cold, harsh piece of plastic was one of the worst literary experiences I've ever had.

I don't dislike people who use e-readers. In fact, I sold that Kindle to my mom a week after Christmas and she absolutely loves it. I still find them to be amazing technology, even if just for convenience's sake. However, there is no way they could ever replace an actual book. I think my above comments sufficiently demonstrate my love of books. That's really only scratching the surface, but you get the idea. Reading a book is not just about convenience for me: it's an experience. The entire thing, from cover to cover, is a part of what makes that book special. Even those annoying dust jackets that bend weird and always get in the way have a special place in my heart.

I feel like the overall community does not feel as I do. I consider that to be a tragedy. So, I will attempt to rekindle (ha ha) that love for the printed word through this blog. Here, I will write about books I have read, books I haven't read, experiences with books, endless hours spent in bookstores, endless hours spent curled up with books, the actual words themselves, and any other book-related topic that tickles my fancy. Ultimately, I hope this inspires you to pick up a book and enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free your thoughts!